White kitchens are adorable. There is something about white kitchens that lets the hearts aflutter. The kitchen looks crisp and bright. And, this vibe gets transmitted throughout the home while creating an illusion of more space. It also brings a feeling of calmness. Despite, the good things, many homeowners are skeptical about such kitchens as it is tough to maintain the whiteness and spotlessness of white kitchens. But if you’re planning for a kitchen renovation and white is in your mind for the color theme, you can think about white cabinets. Though it is a bit difficult to maintain them, with a little carefulness you can keep the kitchen as brilliant as always.
Ways to maintain a white kitchen
To keep your white kitchen white, all you need to follow some basic steps on a regular basis. Let’s have a look at them.
- Protect the cabinets from direct sunlight – This is crucial for antique white kitchen cabinets. Direct sunlight can turn white laminated surface or cabinets to yellow. To keep them protected, the use of blinds or curtains are recommended. You may also install tinted glass windows for the same purpose.
- Use baking soda and vinegar for cleaning cupboards– To keep the white cabinets fresh and white, use a solution of baking soda and vinegar. Take one cup of vinegar and mix it with one tablespoon of baking soda along with two cups of lukewarm water. Now dip a clean dry rag in the solution, wring out excess solution and then wipe down the surfaces. Do this once in a month.
- Bleach is good for sinks – White sinks are a part of white kitchen cabinets. However, these sinks become grimy fast. The most effective way to prevent this kind of wear is by using household bleach. Use paper towels to line the sink bottom. Now wet the towels with bleach. Let the bleach-soaked towel sit for half an hour. Remove them and rinse the sink thoroughly with lukewarm water. If you don’t want to use bleach, you can use any of its effective substitutes like a solution of lemon juice and club soda. Again, let the solution sit for half an hour and then rinse the sink with water.
- Brushing the tile grout is a must – If there is a white tile backsplash in the kitchen, dirt will easily accumulate on the grouts. And on the white backsplash, it will look more prominent. Take care of this regularly. Make a paste of water and baking soda and apply the paste to the grout. Now take some vinegar into the spray bottle. Spray it onto the paste. Now use a toothbrush to grout scrubbing. Finally, rinse off the mixture.
- Keep the exhaust fan turned on – Grease and oil from cooking are one of the biggest reasons for kitchen staining. Therefore, you must be proactive to stop the fat from accumulating on the countertops or cabinets. Keep the range hood or the exhaust fan switched on without fail as you start cooking. This applies to Walnut Cabinets as well.
So if you’re thinking to install white cabinets in the kitchen, go ahead. All you need to be a bit careful and the whiteness can be managed always.