Sydney is one of the largest cities in Australia that is popular for its beaches, natural wonders, scenic views, etc. According to an article, house prices have doubled in Sydney since the global financial crisis of 2007 to 2008. Additionally, house prices in Sydney can rise at 20.3 per cent and 15.5 per cent this year. Sydney has many old properties too that have been built or refurbished before 2000. In that case, you must consider consulting companies that provide asbestos removal in Sydney. Asbestos is a very grave concern. It is currently used in large quantities in Asia, Eastern Europe and parts of South America. Read on to learn about this mineral, its common signs, and the importance of hiring a service provider.
What is asbestos?
Asbestos is a mineral that occurs naturally. It is found in specific types of rocks throughout the world. It has been utilised to manufacture products, primarily building materials, due to its durability, relatively low cost and fire resistance. In the mid-20th century, this mineral was predominantly used as a building material in the United Kingdom. It is mined in countries like China, Brazil, Russia and South Africa. The fibres of this mineral are either woven into fabrics or mixed in cement. Currently, it has been revealed that asbestos fibres pose a threat to health. These fibres can cause asbestosis (non-cancerous lung diseases) and mesothelioma (lung cancer). In the US, it has been linked to over 6000 deaths each year. Additionally, it has been estimated that asbestos has killed over half a million people. Any materials with asbestos can cause a severe health risk. Lung cancer and asbestosis develop within 10 to 40 years after the initial exposure to this mineral.
What are the most commonly used places of asbestos?
In the United Kingdom, over 500,000 structures contain asbestos. As per an article, a popular beach in Sydney was closed for two weeks due to the ongoing asbestos contamination. Due to such reasons, you must be vigilant about exposure to it. Listed below are some commonly used places of this material.
- Insulation: During the 1920s and 1980s, attic insulation would regularly use asbestos. In case your attic comprises insulated materials, it is recommended that you get them tested right away.
- Interior wall paint and ceilings: Until 1990, it was one of the most popular ingredients in wall paints. Additionally, it was utilised in ceiling tiles in the form of spray-on paints.
- Window putty and cars: Fire-resistant window putty was commonly produced using this mineral. Furthermore, it was used as a part of clutches, brake pad production and gaskets. Hence, it is highly recommended by Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OHSA) to take preventive measures while replacing any brake pads.
- Garden sheds and garages: Using asbestos material for roof panels and roof tiles was quite common in garden sheds and garages.
- Cement pipes: Sewage and gas pipes were made with asbestos. It can pose a danger since the fibres can deteriorate and release into the pipelines.
What are the benefits of hiring asbestos removal experts?
To avoid any hazardous situation, you must seek companies that provide asbestos removal in Sydney. Here are a few benefits of doing that.
- Utilises the right equipment and ensures safety: Inhaling this mineral can cause hoarse breathing, trouble while swallowing, hypertension, swelling in the neck, etc. But when you look for a service provider, you can ensure they utilise the right equipment and get their job done efficiently.
- Extensive training and expertise: Asbestos removal training is conducted to hone the skills of the individuals. With extensive knowledge and expertise, you can make sure that the professionals can remove this mineral safely.
- Provide proper disposal: Excellent service providers will ensure the quick and efficient removal of this mineral. Plus, they will make sure that it does not contaminate any object or room.